- The Haiti earthquake measured in at 7, whereas the Chile Earthquake measured in at 8.8.
- The Chile earthquake only lasted around a minute, but during that time it released so much energy, it even changed the earth’s rotation very slightly.
- No city can be 100 percent safe in the event of a quake.
- One earthquake hit the island of Haiti, 250,000 people were killed and many more injured. A month later another earthquake, 500 times more powerful, hits the country of Chile but the toll from this disaster may only reach as high as 500.
- Quakes are measured on the Richter scale, which gives you an idea of how much damage they can do. As the number increases the energy released by the quake multiplies by thirty.
- Why do some countries have reinforced buildings and others don’t if no one is 100% safe from earthquakes?