- The 1960s is remembered for a lot of things. But one of the biggest events of the decade was actually a war in a tiny country called Vietnam.
- Throughout the war almost 60,000 Australians served.
- Altogether 521 Australians died and more than 3000 were wounded in the fighting in Vietnam.
- After the war many Australian troops returned home to criticism from those who opposed the war in Vietnam.
- But there was still one positive to come out of this war. Tens of thousands of Vietnamese people fled here to escape the North’s rule and were taken into Australia as refugees.
- Why were Australian solders criticised on coming back from Vietnam?