When you are the connector in literacy circles you need to come up with 2 connections out of text-to-self, text-to- world and text-to-text connections. You can’t have two of the same connection. Your homework is to read the chapters/book and make the connections with your own life, the world or another text.
- Babylon was a city-town located near the modern day Baghdad.
- The Maya were a group of Mesoamerican Indians.
- Ptolemy created the Ptolemaic system.
- Modern astronomy owes a great deal to ancient people.
- Babylon was the birth place of one of the earliest forms of horoscopic astronomy.
- How did Hipparchus discover the precession of the equinoxes?
- I want to learn how satellites help people navigate their way around the earth.
- Which planet has the most moons and why?
- I would like to improve on making graphs and gathering data. I would also like to communicate my ideas with the group.
Our unit this term was natural disasters. We had to do an information report with 4-6 questions that we made up. I did volcanoes as my natural disaster. To see my information report click information-report-volcanoes.
3 facts that I found interesting or surprising are:
- Most natural disasters are natural but some can be man made e.g: bush fires can be caused by cigarettes or unattended campfires.
- Some natural disasters can cause other natural disasters e.g: underwater earthquakes cause tsunamis.
- If you study natural disasters in depth they can be fascinating.
2 understandings I now have are:
- Natural disasters have always happened and we just get in the way of them happening. So they are neither good or bad.
- Natural disasters aren’t always bad as some trees need to get burnt so that they can produce seedling for the new plant.
1 wonder I still have is:
- How science can help with any natural disasters.
The most important thing that I learnt is that not all natural disasters are ‘bad’. I learnt that through examining information and seeing if I needed it or not. I am going to share this information with my family.
I went well with the question matrix because I generated 4 questions that were informative and I also clearly understand the use of the question matrix.
My information report has facts about the topic, an introduction with a statement to classify the subject and a conclusion.
My first paragraph introduces the topic and all of my paragraphs have a topic sentence. All of my paragraphs describe aspects of the topic and have ideas with supporting details. My paragraphs all have varied sentence beginnings and I have used different sentences like simple, complex and compound.
My information text has a use of headings and sub headings to divide and clarify. My information text included a glossary and a bibliography.
My diagram was pencil drawn with simple clean lines. I also added a picture off the internet with a caption.
My systems analysis identified a volcanic eruption as a system it also states all of the parts and how they work. I changed my systems analysis to see what would happen and made a conclusion about how it made changes in the system. I made conclusions about how the parts in my systems analysis interrelate and I also compared it to another system.